ShippingWatch

Gearbulk and Grieg Star create new dry bulk behemoth

Swiss-based Gearbulk, controlled by the Jebsen family, and Norway's Grieg Star, headed by sisters Camilla and Elisabeth Grieg, have a new partnership to create a dry bulk carrier with a fleet of more than 130 vessels and headquartered in Bergen. (Being updated)

Grieg Star Chairman Elisabeth Grieg (left), and Camilla Grieg, CEO of Grieg Star.

The two dry bulk carriers Gearbulk and Grieg Star form a joint venture which will operate a fleet of more than 130 dry bulk vessels.

"This agreement represents the firm intention of both companies to build an improved range of services for our customers. The combined number of vessels and trades willmake it easier for our customers to find services that fit their needs," says Chairman and CEO of Gearbulk, Kristian Jebsen, in a press release.

Find the press release here

The joint venture, set to be launched in the first half of 2017, will be owned 65 percent by Gearbulk why the remaining 35 percent will be owned by Grieg Star. The Board of Directors will consist of five members, of which three will come from Gearbulk and two from Grieg Star. The Board of Directors will be chaired by Kristian Jebsen.

"The talks and cooperation throughout this process have built an invaluable trust and confidence between the parties. The two companies both have strong corporate cultures and values, and we aim to take the best from the two, and merge them into one strong, customer-oriented culture," says Grieg Star Chairman Elisabeth Grieg.

The new entity has not yet been named, but will be headquartered in Bergen.

CEO of the new company will be Rune Birkeland (photo), who will switch from a position as CEO of Grieg Logistics, a position he has held since 2005. COO of the new carrier will be Arthur English, who has worked for Gearbulk for 22 years.

Grieg Star is part of Norwegian shipping group Grieg Group and has operated a dry bulk fleet since 1961. The size of the fleet now stands at 45 owned and chartered bulk vessels - regular as well as open hatch bulkers. Grieg Star has focused especially on transporting wood, steel, and project cargos.

Gearbulk similarly operates a fleet of conventional as well as open hatch bulk vessels, though somewhat bigger than Grieg Star's fleet, as Gearbulk operates between 85 and 90 vessels.

Gearbulk and Grieg Star will both maintain technical management and ownership of the vessels in the partnership.

Grieg Star signs deal with banks worth USD 400 million

Dry bulk pushes Grieg Star into the red

Gearbulk in secret settlement regarding Bulk Jupiter wreck

Frontpage right now

Maersk will now be printing spare parts on board its vessels

Maersk and J. Lauritzen are now looking to really crack the 3D market, and with a new project including several prominent players, carriers are starting to print spare parts on board vessels and rigs. The technology is ready for the maritime sector, the partners say.

Simpson Spence Young acquires Bidsted & Co

Simpson Spence Young has acquired Danish dry bulk broker Bidsted & Co. "The world requires more and more these days, and we had to acknowledge that we were unable to match demand on our own," Bidsted's managing director Carsten Munk Jensen tells ShippingWatch.

Swedish shipowners want 400 ships flagged in Sweden by 2027

The much-anticipated tonnage tax scheme could mean that 400 ships join the Swedish flag over the next decade, shows a study performed by the Swedish Shipowners' Association. "We hope that over the coming years these predictions will turn out to be correct," Vice President Pia Berglund tells ShippingWatch.

This week's top stories on ShippingWatch

Navigare Capital Partners, owned by parts of the Mærsk family, is ready to buy more vessels, Simpson Spence Young acquired Danish broker Bidsted & Co., and Norden CEO Jan Rindbo offered insights into his management strategy this past week on ShippingWatch.

Latest Bulk

Related articles

Latest news

Jobs

See all

See all